Sunday, September 16, 2012

post-hawaii life

Well, my three day work week wasn't nearly as exciting as my time in Hawaii, but there were a few things that happened that are blog-worthy.

First, my room mate Adrienne came! YAY!!! So exciting! I'm so happy to have a girl in the house and (starting Monday), have another corps member in my classroom to help me control the wild children that are my students :)

Second, I had a "This is why I serve" moment on Thursday.  One of my students was doing a worksheet that I was helping him with. As he was working, he asked me "How do you spell the word suspensive?" I paused before asking him to use it in a sentence.  He said "Ya know, like something is suspensive. It costs a lot."  The poor kid didn't know that the word he should have been saying was expensive.  He's in ninth grade.  Moments like these help remind me why I'm here doing what I'm doing .

Third, I love the corps.  Friday at the office was a blast.  They have such great energy and are so much fun to be around.  I look forward to it every week. We had an all site cook out Friday night at Ben's house where I ate wayyyy too much food.

Fourth, at this cookout, there was nonstop foolery.  From trying to smile without your teeth or your eyes to Biasia jumping in the pool not knowing how to swim, it was nonstop nonsense.  I left feeling full and happy.  Can't ask for much more.

Sometimes I have a hard time loving Jacksonville. It's not Boston, which I love and my work is a lot tougher than it was last year. It's weeks like these though that remind me that, while it may not be last year, it's not a bad year or a bad place to be right now.

“With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” 
― Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment