Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Santa Train and Election Day

It's been a pretty eventful week so far, which has been really nice.  Yesterday was a tough day because Mike left for deployment.  Luckily, I had a long day with a lot of things to keep me preoccupied. The kids were pretty good today.  I was really tired and they could tell.  They have no problem telling you when you look tired, are having a bad hair day, etc.   Heaven forbid you tell them they aren't looking 100%, though. They'd probably never talk to you again.  After school, we went to CSX to help stuff a train full of toys for kids in the Appalachian Mountains.  All of the toys we were loading were in different colored duffel bags based on age and gender and we were just hanging them on these huge hooks on the walls of the train.  They would dump huge boxes of these duffel bags onto the train and we'd hang fifteen bags on each hook.  It was like four hours of an assembly line type deal. It was pretty fun.  After we were done, we went out to dinner with the people from CSX and a few people from City Year's  HQ that were here for the service project.  It was a lot of fun.  I realized how small of a world it was when there was a CSX employee who lives here in Jacksonville who went to JMU!! So exciting! As if that wasn't enough, she is from the same small town in West Virginia where I went to camp for six years. Not only that, but a  woman from HQ in Boston knew of the camp and had a friend who's daughter went there.  The camp literally has 200 campers all summer, so it's super small in this tiny West Virginia town.  Such a weird, but cool coincidence!  I was super excited about it all. Anyways, dinner was a ton of fun and made it worth it to be "working" for 15 hours.  

I was at the office today since it was Tuesday.  I had a decent amount of work to do, but by mid afternoon, I was done with basically all of it.  Joe was there in the afternoon and all of the staff left for meetings and such, so it was very relaxed.  We stalked a few future corps members on Facebook and did some random things around the office, but it was very laid back.  I went to yoga for the first time in almost two weeks and it felt so good.  We're now sitting at home watching the election news and anxiously awaiting the results. I'm so glad that I have room mates who agree with my political views.  It makes this whole voting season immensely easier. I also am excited that Virginia is a swing state. It's so exciting knowing that my vote actually counts, even if it was mailed in two weeks early. Regardless of who you voted for, I hope you voted.  We are so lucky to live in a country where we have a say in how our country is run.  Some people are not as fortunate.  I hope that, regardless of the weather, how long the lines were and despite the long to-do list you had, you waited in line and cast your vote because it is truly an honor and a privilege.

Happy election day!

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” 
― Barack Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment