Tuesday, June 23, 2015

It's not goodbye, it's see you later.

It's actually happening.  After almost a month of endless phone calls, lots of tears, and a call or two to my congressman, I'm actually moving to Turkey.  See you on Thursday, Izmir (and Mike)!

In case you haven't been following along, I've had a little trouble getting my passport and, therefore, couldn't book my ticket to Izmir.  I think my mom said it best when she said "Ya know, this would have been a lot easier if you could have gone with Mike."  Ain't that the truth!

Speaking of my mom, she's great.  So is the rest of my family.  I always knew I loved my family, but man, this whole move confirmed it.  Everyone, from my aunts, uncles to my grandfather and my brothers, have been nothing but incredible.

And then there's my parents. Man, am I lucky! My dad's endless positivity and constant reminders of how this is "the opportunity of a lifetime!" kept my spirits high when I was scared and nervous.  My mom could tell when I needed a hug, a good cry or just a glass of wine to calm my nerves.  They were the perfect combination and exactly what I needed in the weeks leading up to the big move.  A lot of people complain about their parents, but this week, I couldn't help but think about how they are some of my closest friends.

It's scary leaving, not knowing when you'll be back. It's also scary leaving everything you know for something completely different. Put those two together and you've got a slobbery, crying mess of a Sarah.  I'm sure that when I board the plane tomorrow, I'll be scared, nervous and sad, but nothing can be as hard as saying goodbye to the people I love most.

"Ubuntu. I am because you are." -African Proverb

Hopefully, tomorrow will go off without a hitch and I will be on the plane to Izmir. Despite all of the tears and emotions, I am so excited to see Mike and begin transitioning into life in Izmir.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment